Keep Calm and Pedal – Summer Cycling Sessions Rules
The ‘Keep Calm and Pedal’ Summer cycling sessions are being run by Stage 1 Cycles in partnership with Ordnance Survey (“OS”), as part of its GetOutside initiative. For more information on Stage 1 Cycles, OS and the GetOutside initiative please see the section below at the end.
The rules set out below (the ‘Rules’) apply to each of the cycling sessions (each an ‘Event’ and together ‘the Events’). Where we refer to ‘We’ or ‘Us’, it means Stage 1 Cycles and/or OS as the context requires.
Please read these Rules carefully. By registering and taking part in an Event, we will assume that you have read these Rules and that you agree to comply with them. We reserve the right to ask Participants and supporters to leave an Event if they do not adhere to these Rules. We reserve the right to vary these Rules at any time so please refer back to them regularly. Any changes will be binding on all Participants and supporters.
If you have any questions, there are a number of FAQ’s available on the Eventbrite website which may help you. If they do not answer your query, please email GetOutside@os.uk and a member of the support team will be happy to help you.
1. Only registered participants will be eligible to take part in Events.
2. You will need to register in advance, by completing the entry form available on Eventbrite here.
3. Submission of the registration form does not guarantee you a space on the Event. Your space will be confirmed by an email sent from Eventbrite.
4. Following your registration, We will send you further information about the logistics of your Event.
5. We will only accept entries to an Event on the day where we are satisfied that it is safe to do so, given that each Event has an allocated capacity that the Event team must adhere to, and the contact details for all participants must be held in advance in the case of an emergency.
6. Children are permitted to participate in an Event but:
a. We recommend that children are age 7+ in order to make the most of the sessions;
b. Any participant under 18 years of age must be accompanied by their parent, legal guardian or a responsible adult who is over 18 (who has the consent of the parent/legal guardian) (the “Responsible Adult”);
c. Both the child and the Responsible Adult must register for the Event;
d. The Responsible Adult must accompany the child and maintain responsibility for the child’s health and safety throughout the Event;
7. There are only a limited number of spaces for each Event and we would therefore ask that you only register if you are committed to taking part. We also ask that you let Us know as soon as possible if you need or want to withdraw from an Event for any reason after you have registered.
Inclusion and Access
1. For persons who have a visual or hearing impairment, or other physical disabilities, you will need to email GetOutside@os.uk to see if the Event is suitable for you and whether your particular circumstances can be accommodated.
2. There are strict capacity limits for each Event and start time, and it is important for health and safety reasons that neither the Event nor the start time exceeds its individual capacity. Participants arriving late must abide by the instructions and decisions of the Event leader. It is possible that latecomers will not be permitted to take part in the Event.
Conduct at an Event
1. All participants and supporters must abide by the Rules and any other rules, instructions or regulations displayed or given on the day of the Event by Event officials.
2. Participants and supporters should not use any aggressive or abusive language towards the Event leaders or officials.
3. To ensure everyone enjoys the day, we ask that Participants give due consideration to each other and spectators and do not behave in a way which is likely to cause distress, annoyance, offence, injury or harm to other Participants or their property, or which may cause damage to the reputation of Stage 1 Cycles, OS or the GetOutside initiative.
4. We respectfully ask that Participants and supporters do not drop litter on the Event but instead use the relevant facilities available or take litter home to dispose of responsibly.
Unfortunately, pets are not allowed at the Events.
Health & Safety and Medical
1. All Events are non-competitive, non-UKA accredited events.
2. Participants must still be able to pedal and balance independently, be comfortable using their brakes and gears and have a level of fitness required for an hour cycling. Whilst these are introductory cycling sessions, Participants need to be satisfied that they are physically capable of taking part in the Event without undue risk to their health or life. It is recommended that pregnant women and anyone unsure of their physical ability seek medical advice from their GP before taking part in any Event.
3. We reserve the right to undertake any health or fitness assessment and/or refuse entry to an Event, in our / their absolute discretion, including where for whatever reason the leader of an Event considers that a person is unfit to take part, or their participation is likely to compromise the safety or enjoyment of other individuals or the group as a whole.
4. We also reserve the right to ask a Participant to withdraw during an Event if we / they have concerns about your ability to complete it due to fitness, injury or otherwise. If you choose to continue, you do so with the understanding that you are no longer considered a participant of the Event and that you absolve us of all and any responsibility, and progress entirely at your own risk.
5. Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are wearing appropriate clothing and footwear when taking part in an Event, taking into account the nature of the Event, the weather forecast, and the terrain involved. Participants should not wear jeans or heavy walking boots to the Events.
6. We will take all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to Participants. However, by taking part in an Event, all Participants acknowledge that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks.
7. If you have any concerns or queries, please contact Us (on the telephone number below) before agreeing to take part in an Event.
1. All participants and spectators enter and attend an Event entirely at their own risk. Neither Stage 1 Cycles or OS, (or their employees) will be liable for any injury, damage or loss to Participants or their property that might occur as a result of their participation or attendance at an Event, other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall exclude or limit our liability for any liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.
2. All Participants will be required to sign a Participant Waiver Form (for themselves and relevant child participant) before participating in the Event – which will be provided to You on arrival at your Event.
3. Use of the GetOutside - ‘Keep Calm and Pedal’ webpage is subject to our website terms and conditions.
Variation / Cancellation of an Event
1. An Event may have to be varied or cancelled due to weather conditions and other events beyond our control, party size, or to accommodate any unexpected complications or operational considerations on the day that may have an impact on participants, volunteers, spectators, staff, Stage 1 Cycles, OS and GetOutside.
2. If we / the Event leader have to alter the Event before it commences, details will be posted on the relevant Event pages and so you should review this page regularly up to and on the day of the Event.
Use of your information
Filming and Photography at the Events
1. Please note that We (or our authorised service providers and agents) may film or photograph Participants and spectators at an Event. Such footage or photographs may be used, in any medium including but not limited to, television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandising, and other documents that may be made available to the public for the purposes of publicising the Event or otherwise in connection with the business of Stage 1 Cycles, OS and the GetOutside initiative.
2. By participating in the Event, you agree to the above. No personal details will be used in any publicity materials without the written consent of the Participant or where applicable, their parent or legal guardian.
3. On the basis that we may use images where children are incidentally included please only register a participant under the age of 16 if the participant’s parent/legal guardian (as applicable) are happy for their images to be used in the manner described in these Rules.
Ordnance Survey and the GetOutside initiative
1. Ordnance Survey Limited (OS) is the national mapping agency of Great Britain. We are a company registered in England, registration number 09121572 whose registered address is as Explorer House, Adanac Park, Southampton SO16 OAS.
2. For more than 200 years, Ordnance Survey has helped people explore Great Britain. Today, we’re inspiring even more people to get outside more often, with our iconic maps available on mobile and desktop. We make the outdoors enjoyable, accessible and safe with innovative navigation features including stunning 3D mapping and augmented reality, paper maps, guides and GPS navigation devices.
3. Our GetOutside initiative is growing, and as the officially endorsed outdoor engagement campaign in the UK, we’re inspiring people to find new places, create lasting memories and discover the great British countryside. In doing so, we help keep the nation active, fit and healthy.
4. If you want to know more please go to the following website: https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/
5. The GetOutside Team at OS can be contacted by emailing GetOutside@os.uk.
Stage 1 Cycles
1. Stage 1 Cycles Ltd is a company registered in England, company registration number 08931657, whose registered office is at Elm Fold Main Street, Askrigg, Leyburn, North Yorkshire. Stage 1 Cycles is the leading provider of cycling activities in Wensleydale, North Yorkshire. It is a registered Adventurous Activities provider, it runs community cycling groups, it is a certified training centre for Go MTB awards and an accredited Bikeability Centre for the National Cycling Award Scheme, Bikeability.
2. Their activities aim to ensure both children & adults alike are confident on their bikes, allowing people the freedom to go out on their own, with friends, family and groups, travelling the best way – by bike!
3. Helen Pollard is a bike rider, dog runner, and life juggler just trying to stay vertical. She spends her days, managing her business Stage 1 Cycles, chasing her daughter, running with her dogs, falling off her bike, and hopefully encouraging others to do something similar. Find out more about Helen here and her role as an OS GetOutside Champion.
4. If you want to know more, please go to the following website: https://www.stage1cycles.co.uk/
- Climbing and mountaineering
- Dog friendly
- Family activities
- Gear guides
- Horse riding
- Map Reading
- Off-road cycling
- OS Champions
- Outdoor skills
- Places to go
- Road cycling
- Water sports
- Aaron Rolph
- Alan Hinkes
- Alan Parkinson
- Alex Middleton
- Alex Staniforth
- Andrew White
- Anita Kerwin-Nye
- Anna Humphries
- Belinda Dixon
- Belinda Kirk
- Ben Fogle
- Ben Smith
- Ben Turner
- Charlotte Ditchburn
- Charlotte Fowler
- Chris Webster
- Craig Henderson
- Daniel Raven-Ellison
- Dave Wilson
- David Finlayson
- David Love
- David Mellor
- Deborah North
- Debs Butler
- Eddie Fitzpatrick
- Eli Bishop
- Emily Thompson
- Emma Frampton
- Get Out With The Kids
- Glyn Dodwell
- Greg Whyte
- Gus Mckechnie
- Harrison Ward
- Hauxwell Family
- Helen Pollard
- Iwan Thomas
- James Forrest
- Jason Rawles
- Jen & Sim Benson
- Jessica Mather
- Jessie Leong
- Jo Bradshaw
- Kate Jamieson
- Kate Lord
- Kate MacRae
- Katie Tunn
- Kenton Cool
- Kizzie Fenner
- Laura Owen Sanderson
- Lisa Drewe
- Lisa Wells
- Lizzie Carr
- Mahroof Malik
- Mairi Olivier
- Manse Ahmad
- Marie Cheng
- Mary-Ann Ochota
- Mel Nicholls
- Michael Evans
- Nigel Vardy
- Phillipa Cherryson
- Phoebe Smith
- Rebecca Lees
- Richie Rakauskas
- Rob Haggan
- Rory Southworth
- Ross Toole
- Sal Thornton
- Sarah Whiting
- Scott Mcalister
- Sean Conway
- Sophie Power
- Sue Barrett
- Suzanne Hill
- Terry Abraham
- The Meek Family
- Tom Sigler
- Tracy Purnell
- Two Blondes Walking
- Yvonne Witter
- Zoe Homes
- Zoe Turner