In 2015, Ordnance Survey (‘OS’) changed the design of its iconic paper maps and we decided to run a competition to find beautiful, inspiring photos for every one of our OS map covers. We were delighted by the response and the amazing photographs that were submitted which offered a new perspective on the British landscape.
Our paper maps (with their covers) are updated on a rolling cycle and we are continuing to offer a number of new opportunities for the public to have their photographs featured on an OS Map.
The 4 maps that are due to be updated shortly are as follows:
OS Landranger Map series:
LRM 45 – Stonehaven & Banchory
LRM 38 – Aberdeen
LRM 81 – Alnwick & Morpeth
LRM 162 – Gloucester & Forest of Dean
So if you are a keen amateur / professional photographer, and/or you have an inspiring photo of the area depicted within one of the above maps, please enter our Competition and your photo could be one of the Judge’s favourites which will appear on the applicable map cover.
The terms and conditions of the Competition are set out below.
Please read these carefully before submitting your photos. By submitting your photographs for entry into the competition you are deemed to have agreed to these terms and conditions.
1. The Competition is open to all UK residents, aged 16 or over, excluding OS employees.
2. The Competition is open to amateur and professional photographers alike. However, photos which have previously won a photographic competition and/or have been published professionally in any media will not be eligible.
3. No purchase is necessary to take part in this Competition.
4. The Competition opens on Friday 19 April 2019 and it will close at midnight on Friday 3 May 2019.
5. To enter your photo(s) into the Competition please send an email to: GetOutside@os.uk attaching your photo(s) and the information set out in paragraph 6 below.
6. In your email you must:
a. Provide your full name and postal address;
b. Tell us the specific OS Map that your photograph applies to and the location from which your photo was taken or the location which is depicted in the photo (whichever is the more relevant to the view depicted in the photo). By way of example: OL17 Snowdon – view from the summit of Snowdon looking towards Crib Goch. You should indicate the location by inserting the grid coordinates.
7. Your image file must fulfil the following technical requirements:
a. Colour: RGB (CMYK images will not be accepted); the image needs to be in colour.
b. Format: JPEG or Camera RAW.
c. Area (at 300dpi): Height 151 mm, Width 142 mm.
d. The minimum number of pixels, across the shortest dimension, should be 2,000px
e. If submitting a landscape (wide) photo the height should 2,000 pixels or more
f. If submitting a portrait (tall) photo the width should 2,000 pixels or more
g. Photos with more than 3,000 pixels are preferred as this allows for cropping and the bleed edge cuts.
8. Other requirements:
a. Your photo(s) must be taken in Great Britain and they should be of the landscape or have the landscape as its background showing real features. They should not be a fictitious or invented scene, have elements superimposed onto a scene, or be a mosaic of images.
b. Your photo(s) must not be of National Trust property as such photos should be used for private use only and cannot be used for publication or commercial use.
c. Your photos should follow the style and focus of the relevant OS Map series. There are a number of series as follows (Please make sure your photo corresponds to the relevant series):
i. OS Explorer Maps: There should be a focus on outdoor activity. There could be people engaging in an activity and/or an acknowledgement to the outdoors through inclusion of, for example, a bike, rucksack, etc. However, a photo showing what may be deemed as dangerous behaviour, for example standing too close to a cliff edge, may be rejected by the judges.
ii. OS Landranger Maps: There should be a focus on an individual building or feature (whether manmade or natural) of interest located in the area.
iii. OS Tour Maps: The subject of the photo must be obvious in that the image is readily associated with the area.
iv. The Three Peaks Challenge Map: Preference will be given to generic action shots of unidentifiable people going up or down Snowdon, Scafell Pike, or Ben Nevis.
9. Your photo may include people, but they should not be identifiable. It may include animals, although photos of zoo animals or photos which focus on your domestic pets are not eligible. Any subject of interest within the photo should not be too close to the edge.
10. You must obtain the permission of any people featured in your photo or their parents/guardian if children under 16 are featured. You must obtain the permission of the owners of any private residential property featured in your photo. You must provide written evidence of such permission, if requested.
11. Photos should not contain any material or images that are obscene, indecent, offensive, defamatory, unlawful or would be detrimental to the reputation / goodwill of OS and its brand.
12. Your image may be cropped (although we reserve the right to choose the original size and composition) and it may be digitally enhanced to remove blemishes, brighten or alter the colour of the image or have other minor features changed. However, we reserve the right to exclude any images which we believe have been substantially enhanced so as to no longer be authentic.
13. You can submit as many photos, from / for as many locations as you like. There is no maximum limit to the number of photos you can enter. However, in the interests of fairness, careful consideration will be given before any decision to declaring the photos from one individual as the winning entries for multiple maps covers. Entries made on behalf of another person, or jointly with another person are not acceptable.
14. We reserve the absolute right to disqualify any photos, for any reason whatsoever, including, but without limitation, those which is our sole opinion are of insufficient quality (i.e. too blurry, too dark or out of focus); obscene, indecent or otherwise offensive; contain identifiable individuals; infringe third party intellectual property rights; or otherwise breach these terms and conditions.
15. Our decision as to the eligibility and/or suitability of individual photos will be final. Any delay or failure by us to enforce any of our rights in this respect does not constitute a waiver of these rights.
16. We can take no responsibility for any photos which fail to transfer properly and/or any technical problems, such as server malfunctions or errors, viruses, or bugs, that may result in lost, incomplete, late or misdirected entries.
17. After the closing date, the photos will go forward to the internal judging panel.
18. The panel of judges will then pick their favourite photo for each map sheet. This winning photo will then feature on the next scheduled print run of that map sheet.
19. If no entries are received for the area depicted in any particular map sheet, we reserve the right to use our own photo, or an independently sourced photo, for use on that map cover and no prize shall be awarded.
20. Winners will be notified via email within 1 month of the closing date for each map series. If your photo has not won, you will not be contacted.
21. All winning entries will be subject to a final check and any which are found to be in breach of the Competition terms and conditions will be disqualified and any prizes forfeited. The judging panel will then select a new winner from the remaining photos for that particular map sheet.
22. We will publish all the winning photos on the OS website. A list of the winners’ names can be made available upon request.
23. The judging panel will consider various criteria when choosing the winners for each map series, including the relevant style and focus of the map series; the subject matter, composition, quality, freshness and emotional force of the imagery. The winning photos should inspire the judges and/or make them wish they had visited, or could visit, the location. There will clearly be an element of subjectivity in this respect.
24. The judge’s decisions will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
25. A total of 4 winning photos will be selected, one for each map.
26. The winning photos will be incorporated into the relevant map cover, along with the winning entrant’s name, when that map goes to reprint. This means it will be displayed on thousands of maps, in thousands of retailers across Great Britain and potentially further afield.
27. The winning entrants will also receive:
a. A complimentary copy of the relevant map on which their photo features, once that particular map has gone to reprint.
b. An OS Maps subscription gift pack.
28. Winners will be notified via email within 1 month of the closing date. The OS Maps subscription gift pack will include full instructions on how to claim the annual subscription to OS Maps, which must be claimed by October 2021.
29. Prizes are non-transferrable and cannot be exchanged for cash.
30. All photos must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the copyright or other intellectual property rights of any person or organisation;
31. You will retain copyright in any photos that you submit to the Competition.
32. By entering the Competition, you grant to OS (and Ordnance Survey Leisure Limited), a non- exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual licence to use your photo(s) and publish it/them on the OS corporate website and social media websites (such as Facebook and Twitter), in connection with this Competition.
33. In the event that your photo is one of the Competition winners, you further grant to OS and Ordnance Survey Leisure Limited a non-exclusive, royalty free, worldwide and perpetual licence to use the photo(s) on the cover of any of its paper maps, in its mobile apps, on the OS website and other OS social media, in promotional materials and otherwise use the photo in connection with the business of OS.
34. If your photo is chosen to appear on one of our map covers, we assume that you will want your name to appear on the map cover to indicate that you are the photographer / copyright owner. However, we will seek your express written consent to us reproducing and otherwise using your name in this respect at the time of notifying that you are a winner (or conversely your express written request not to have your name reproduced if you so choose).
35. For the avoidance of doubt, no fees will be payable for any use of your photo(s) in connection with this Competition.
37. By entering the Competition, you agree to take part in any reasonable promotions and publicity relating to it.
38. You warrant to us that the image files you upload do not contain any viruses or other potentially harmful material.
40. We disclaim all liability for any loss or damage to persons or property, (whether direct or indirect) incurred by any person in connection with the taking and submission of photos in connection with this Competition, to the maximum extent permitted by law.
41. OS reserves the right to disqualify any entrants from the Competition and/or withdraw a prize from a winning entrant if in our opinion there is a potential breach of these Competition terms and conditions.
42. OS reserves the right to cancel this Competition or alter any of the terms and conditions at any stage, if in our opinion it is necessary to do so or circumstances arise outside of our control.
43. OS is entitled to assign any and all of its rights relating to the Competition to one of its group companies and/or any entity to whom its functions and activities are transferred.
44. These Competition terms and conditions shall be governed by English Law and the English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
45. The promoter of the Competition is Ordnance Survey, Britain’s mapping agency, whose headquarters is based at Explorer House, Adanac Drive, Southampton SO16 6AS. Ordnance Survey Leisure Limited is a subsidiary company of Ordnance Survey, which is registered in England and Wales (company no. 06894550), and whose registered office is at Explorer House, Adanac Drive, Southampton, SO16 0AS, UK. (VAT Number is 973 4648 80).