GetOutside is an inspirational content-led initiative founded by Ordnance Survey (‘OS’) to help more people to GetOutside more often. Please see information about Ordnance Survey below.
There are a huge variety of events taking place on National GetOutside Day, some being organised by OS and its OS GetOutside Champions, and others being run by third parties. Hopefully you will find something to get involved in, or maybe create your own adventure?
The rules we have set out below (the ‘Rules’) apply to the following events:
1. National Walks
Guided walks in the Peak District or Shropshire alongside one of our OS GetOutside Champions Ben Fogle, Sean Conway, Kenton Cool or Mel Nicholls, (organised by OS in partnership with HF Holidays).
2. OS GetOutside Champion Regional Events
A variety of different activities taking place across the country led by some of the OS GetOutside Champions 2018. Please click on the link to the Champion’s websites for details and registration.
(each an ‘Event’ and together ‘the Events’)
Please read these Rules carefully. By registering for an Event, you agree to comply with the Rules and We reserve the right to ask Participants and supporters to leave an Event if they do not adhere to these Rules.
We reserve the right to vary these Rules at any time so please refer back to them regularly. Any changes will be binding on all Participants and supporters.
Please note these Rules do not apply to any regional festival, events and activities which are organised / led by third party providers. You will need to refer to the relevant organiser’s terms, conditions and participation waivers.
If you have any questions, please email GetOutside@os.uk and a member of the support team will be happy to help you.
1. Only registered participants will be eligible to take part in Events.
2. You will need to register in advance, by completing the relevant entry form available on Eventbrite, or by using the relevant links on the website provided by each event organiser.
3. Submission of the registration form does not guarantee you a space on the Event. Your space will be confirmed by Us or the relevant OS GetOutside Champion.
4. Following your registration, We may send you further information about your Event which may include information about how you can get hold of GetOutside / Event merchandise.
5. We will only accept entries to an Event on the day where we are satisfied that it is safe to do so, given that each Event has an allocated capacity that each Event team must adhere to, and the contact details for all participants must be held in advance in the case of an emergency.
6. Some Events may be subject to age restrictions, (this will relate to the age of the participant on the day of the relevant Event). Participants must be able to provide proof of age on the day. We reserve the right to refuse entry to an Event to any participant who is under the relevant age, or is unable to provide proof of age when requested to do so by an Event official.
7. Where children are permitted to participate in an Event, they must be accompanied by their parent, legal guardian or responsible adult who is over 18 (who has the consent of the parent/legal guardian) (“Adult”) who will accompany them throughout the Event. Both the child and the Adult must register for the Event.
8. There are only a limited number of spaces for each Event and we would therefore ask that you only register if you are committed to taking part. We also ask that you let us (or the relevant OS GetOutside Champion) know as soon as possible if you need or want to withdraw from an Event for any reason after you have registered.
1. In the following circumstances, participants will need to email GetOutside@os.uk to see if the Event is suitable for them and their particular circumstances can be accommodated:
a. Persons using a wheelchair
b. Persons who are visual or hearing impaired or have other physical disabilities
c. Persons wishing to use a pram / pushchair
2. There are strict capacity limits for each Event and start time, and it is important for health and safety reasons that neither the Event nor the start time exceeds its individual capacity. Participants arriving late must abide by the instructions and decisions of the Event leader. It is possible that latecomers will not be permitted to take part in the Event.
1. All participants and supporters must abide by the Rules and any rules, instructions or regulations displayed or given on the day of the Event by Event officials.
2. Participants and supporters should not use any aggressive or abusive language towards the Event leaders, officials or OS GetOutside Champions.
3. To ensure everyone enjoys the day, we ask that Participants give due consideration to each other and spectators and do not behave in a way which is likely to cause distress, annoyance, offence, injury or harm to other Participants or their property, or which may cause damage the reputation of OS and the GetOutside initiative.
4. We respectfully ask that Participants and supporters do not drop litter on the Event but instead use the relevant facilities available or take litter home to dispose of responsibly.
1. Unfortunately, pets are not allowed on the National Walks, except for assistance dogs accompanying those who are visually or hearing-impaired.
2. Participants may be able to take their dogs along to some of the OS GetOutside Champion Regional Events. To confirm whether an Event allows dogs, please refer to the OS GetOutside Champions Event page before entering or the organiser of the event.
3. Any Participant bringing a dog to an Event must act in a responsible manner by making sure that:
a. The dog is kept on a lead, under close control at all times, and any usual equipment used to control the dog is employed on the day.
b. The dog has a collar with a clearly identifiable tag.
c. Adequate water is supplied for the dog to keep them hydrated.
d. Any dog mess is cleaned up and disposed of responsibly.
e. All instructions given by the Event manager and officials on the day are adhered to, including participants with dogs starting the Event at the back of the walkers if required.
1. All Events are non-competitive, non-UKA accredited events.
2. Participation in the Events does require an appropriate level of fitness and some may be physically challenging and pose a risk of discomfort, illness or injury. Participants need to be satisfied that they are physically capable of taking part in the Event without undue risk to their health or life. OS, its OS GetOutside Champions and HF Holidays will conduct any health or fitness checks on Participants.
3. It is recommended that pregnant women and anyone unsure of their physical ability seek medical advice from their GP before taking part in any Event. As a general rule the walks run by HF Holidays are not suitable for disabled or infirm guests, even the easiest walks involve obstacles such as stiles.
4. We, and the OS GetOutside Champions leading Events reserve the right to refuse entry to an Event, in our / their absolute discretion, including where for whatever reason the leader of an Event considers that a person is unfit to take part, or their participation is likely to compromise the safety or enjoyment of other individuals or the group as a whole.
5. We, and the OS GetOutside Champions leading Events, also reserve the right to ask a Participant to withdraw during an Event if we / they have concerns about your ability to complete it due to fitness, injury or otherwise. If you choose to continue you do so with the understanding that you are no longer considered a participant of the Event and that you absolve us of all and any responsibility, and progress entirely at your own risk.
6. Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are wearing appropriate attire (including footwear) when taking part in an Event, taking into account the nature of the Event, the weather forecast and the terrain involved.
7. OS, its OS GetOutside Champions leading the Events, and HF Holidays will take all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to Participants. However, by taking part in an Event, all Participants acknowledge that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks.
8. If you have any concerns or queries please contact us via email on firstname.lastname@example.org or the relevant OS GetOutside Champion before agreeing to take part in an Event.
1. All participants and spectators enter and attend an Event entirely at their own risk. Neither OS, its OS GetOutside Champions, or HF Holidays will be liable for any injury, damage or loss to Participants or their property that might occur as a result of their participation or attendance at an Event, other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall exclude or limit our liability for any liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.
2. All Participants will be required to sign a Participant Waiver Form (for themselves and relevant child participant) before participating in the Event. The Participant Waiver Form will be provided to You in an Event pack or can be found here.
3. Use of the National GetOutside Day website is subject to our website terms and conditions.
1. An Event may have to be varied or cancelled due to weather conditions and other events beyond our control, party size, or to accommodate any unexpected complications or operational considerations on the day that may have an impact on participants, volunteers, spectators, staff, OS and GetOutside.
2. If we / the Event leader have to alter the Event before it commences details will be posted on the relevant Event page and so you should review this page regularly up to and on the day of the Event.
Filming and Photography at the Events
1. Please note that OS (or our authorised service providers and agents) or our commercial partners may film or photograph Participants and spectators at an Event. Such footage or photographs may be used, in any medium including but not limited to, television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandising, and other documents that may be made available to the public for the purposes of: (a) publicising the Event or otherwise in connection with the business of OS or GetOutside; and (b) for our commercial partners to publicise their involvement and/or association with the Event.
2. By participating in the Event you consent to the above.
3. No personal details will be used in any publicity materials without the written consent of the Participant or where applicable, their parent or legal guardian. On the basis that we may use images where children are incidentally included please only register a participant under the age of 16 if the participant’s parent/legal guardian (as applicable) are happy for their images to be used in the manner described in these Rules.
1. Ordnance Survey Limited (OS) is the national mapping agency of Great Britain. We are a a company registered in England, registration number 09121572 whose registered address is Explorer House, Adanac Drive, Southampton, SO16 0AS.
2. The GetOutside Team at OS can be contacted via email on: GetOutside@os.uk