GetOutside is an inspirational initiative founded by Ordnance Survey (‘OS’) to help more people to get outside more often.
OS GetOutside Champions take the lead on inspiring and motivating as many people as possible to get out there and enjoy great outdoors, as part of the GetOutside campaign.
If you want to find out more about OS, its GetOutside campaign, or the OS GetOutside Champions, please see below.
There are a huge variety of events taking place across Great Britain on National GetOutside Day 2019, some being organised by OS GetOutside Champions, and others being organised by third parties.
You can use our handy interactive events map to find events that are taking place here and for more details on how to participate. Hopefully you will find an event on the map to get involved in. Or why not create your own adventure?
If you sign up via our website to let us know how you plan to get outside on National Getoutside Day, you can be counted towards a regional team based on the postcode that you provide us. Plus you can get a one month free subscription code to the OS Maps app, our award winning mapping based app.
Which region across Great Britain will have the highest number of people signing up for National GetOutside Day?
If you sign up for National GetOutside Day on our website, the rules on signing up below will apply and this also covers how we will use any personal data you give us.
If you decide to take part in an Event that is organised by an OS GetOutside Champion (an ‘Event’ or together ‘the Events’) please see the rules set out below that will apply to your entry and participation.
Please note that these rules do not apply to any events that are organised and / or led by third party providers that may be highlighted on our interactive map. You will need to refer to the relevant organiser’s terms, conditions for such third party events.
Please read these rules carefully. By providing your details online, and / or taking part in an Event then we assume that you have read the applicable rules and agree to comply with them.
OS reserves the right to vary the rules set out at any time so please refer back to them regularly. Any changes will be binding on all participants and / or supporters.
If you have any questions, please email GetOutside@os.uk and a member of the support team will be happy to help you.
1. You can sign up for National GetOutside Day by providing us with your email address, postcode and the outdoor activity you would like to do on the day using the form provided (‘Sign Up’).
2. Anyone who has committed to getting outside on National GetOutside Day can Sign Up online. You do not need to be registered for an Event to Sign Up. To register for an Event, we ask you to see the ‘Participant Entry’ section below.
3. If you Sign Up, you will be counted automatically for a regional team based on the postcode you provide us. If you are going out with others and they would also like to be counted for a regional team, then they are invited to Sign Up too, using the form provided.
3. The region with the most people counted as getting outside on National GetOutside Day will be recognised at the winning region. Please note that there are no prizes for people counted towards the winning region’s team. The challenge here is to boost motivation for as many people as possible to get outside in different regions across Great Britain.
6. If you Sign Up successfully, you will get a free one month subscription code to the OS Maps app. The code is only valid until 1 February 2020, at which point the code will expire. Use of the OS Maps app is subject to separate terms and conditions. These can be found here.
7. Where our GetOutside website provides links to third party websites, such as Facebook, please note that third party websites are outside our control and we accept no responsibility for their content or for the products or services they provide.
1. You can register for events by clicking on the link on under your chosen Event on our interactive map and following the method provided by each Event organiser to register for Events. You must register in advance for Events and only registered participants will be eligible to take part in Events.
2. After you have registered, you may be sent further information about your Event by the OS GetOutside Champion leading the Event.
3. Spaces for each Event are limited according to availability. We therefore ask that you only register if you are committed to taking part. Registration does not guarantee you a place on an Event. The relevant OS Champions will endeavour to confirm your entry.
4. We ask that you let the relevant OS GetOutside Champion know as soon as possible if you need or want to withdraw from an Event for any reason after you have registered.
5. Entries to an Event will only be accepted on the day where the Event officials are satisfied that it is safe to do so, given that each Event has an allocated capacity that they must adhere to. Contact details for all participants must be provided and held in advance in the case of an emergency.
6. Some Events may be subject to age restrictions. Participants must be able to provide proof of age on the day. The Event officials reserve the right to refuse entry to an Event to any participant who is under the relevant age, or is unable to provide proof of age when requested to do so by an Event official.
7. Where children are permitted to participate in an Event, they must be accompanied by their parent, legal guardian or responsible adult who is over 18 (who has the consent of the parent/legal guardian) (“Adult”) who will accompany them throughout the Event. Both the child and the Adult must register for the Event.
1. If you would like to take part in an Event, and you would like to discuss access needs for example for participants using a wheelchair, or whom have physical disabilities, you will need to contact the OS GetOutside Champion via the link on the Event page to see if Event is suitable and your particular circumstances can be accommodated.
2. There are strict capacity limits for each Event and start time, and it is important for health and safety reasons that neither the Event nor the start time exceeds its individual capacity. Participants arriving late must abide by the instructions and decisions of the OS Champion leading the Event. It is possible that latecomers will not be permitted to take part in the Event.
1. All participants and supporters must abide by these rules and any rules, instructions or regulations displayed or given on the day of the Event by the Event officials.
2. To ensure everyone enjoys the day, we ask that participants give due consideration to each other and not behave in a way which is likely to cause distress, annoyance, offence, injury or harm to other participants or their property, or which may cause damage the reputation of OS or the GetOutside initiative.
3. We respectfully ask that participants do not drop litter at the Event but instead use the relevant facilities available, or take litter home to dispose of responsibly.
1. Participants may be able to take their dogs along to an Events, but only if this is confirmed in advance by the OS GetOutside Champion leading the Event.
1. All Events are non-competitive, non-UKA accredited events.
2. Participation in the Events does require an appropriate level of fitness and some may be physically challenging and pose a risk of discomfort, illness or injury. Participants need to be satisfied that they are physically capable of taking part in the Event without undue risk to their health or life.
3. It is recommended that pregnant women and anyone unsure of their physical ability seek medical advice from their GP before taking part in any Event.
4. Events officials reserve the right to refuse entry to an Event, in their absolute discretion, including where for whatever reason the leader of an Event considers that a person is unfit to take part, or their participation is likely to compromise the safety or enjoyment of other individuals or the group as a whole.
5. Event officials also reserve the right to ask a participant to withdraw during an Event if they have concerns about your ability to complete it due to fitness, injury or otherwise. If you choose to continue you do so with the understanding that you are no longer considered a participant of the Event and that you absolve OS and the OS GetOutside Champions of all and any responsibility, and progress entirely at your own risk.
6. Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are wearing appropriate attire (including footwear) when taking part in an Event, taking into account the nature of the Event, the weather forecast and the terrain involved.
7. The Event officials will take all reasonable steps to endeavour to minimise the risk of injury to participants. However, by taking part in an Event, all participants acknowledge that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond the control of OS and / or its OS GetOutside champion that can lead to unforeseen risks.
8. If you have any concerns or queries please contact us via email on email@example.com or the relevant OS GetOutside Champion before agreeing to take part in an Event.
1. All participants and spectators enter and attend an Event entirely at their own risk. Neither OS nor its OS GetOutside Champions will be liable for any injury, damage or loss to Participants or their property that might occur as a result of their participation or attendance at an Event, other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall exclude or limit our liability for any liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.
2. All participants for Events led by OS GetOutside Champions will be required to sign a Participant Waiver Form (for themselves and relevant child participants) before participating in the Event. The Participant Waiver Form will be provided to you by the relevant OS GetOutside Champion.
3. Use of the National GetOutside Day website is subject to our website terms and conditions.
1. An Event may have to be varied or cancelled due to weather conditions and other events beyond our control, party size, or to accommodate any unexpected complications or operational considerations on the day that may have an impact on participants, volunteers, spectators, staff, OS and GetOutside.
2. If the relevant OS GetOutside Champion has to alter the Event before it commences then they will endeavour to notify you via the relevant Event page and so you should review this page regularly up to and on the day of the Event.
1. Please note that OS (or our authorised service providers and agents) may film or photograph Participants and spectators at an Event. Such footage or photographs may be used, in any medium including but not limited to, television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandising, and other documents that may be made available to the public for the purposes of: (a) publicising the Event or otherwise in connection with the business of OS or GetOutside; and (b) for our commercial partners to publicise their involvement and/or association with the Event.
2. By participating in the Event you consent to the above.
3. No personal details will be used in any publicity materials without the written consent of the Participant or where applicable, their parent or legal guardian. On the basis that we may use images where children are incidentally included please only register a participant under the age of 16 if the participant’s parent/legal guardian (as applicable) are happy for their images to be used in the manner described in these rules.
1. Ordnance Survey Limited (OS) is the national mapping agency of Great Britain. We are a company registered in England, registration number 09121572 whose registered address is Explorer House, Adanac Drive, Southampton, SO16 0AS.
2. The GetOutside initiative is our outdoor engagement campaign that aims to inspire people to find new places, create lasting memories and discover the Great British outdoors. In doing so, we aim to keep the nation active, fit and healthy. Visit the GetOutside website for tips, advice and inspiration to help you plan your next adventure.
3. The OS GetOutside Champions are passionate about encouraging as many people as possible to get outside more often. Find out more about each OS GetOutside Champion and how to follow them on social media.